• What does "jointly established study programme" mean?

    With the start of the 2016/17 academic year, a new (and uniform) academic teacher training has been introduced for teachers of general secondary education in general compulsory schools ("Allgemeinbildende Pflichtschulen", APS), general secondary schools (AHS), vocational schools (BMHS) and general special schools (ASO).

    The degree programmes are offered in cooperation with the following institutions

    • University of Vienna
    • Kirchliche Pädagogische Hochschule Vienna/Krems (KPH), 
    • University College of Teacher Education Lower Austria (PH NÖ)
    • University College of Teacher Education Vienna (PH Vienna)
    • University College for Agrarian and Environmental Pedagogy

    The curricula were issued in the same wording at all locations (except for the University College of Agrarian and Environmental Pedagogy). Students can inform themselves of the offered courses via the course directory and the course registration system of the University of Vienna.

    The cooperation concerns the Teacher Education Programme for General Secondary Education. Primary Education and any subjects related to vocational education are not included.

  • What does "Kombinationspflicht" / combination obligation mean?

    In the teacher education programme you are required to combine two teaching subjects (or a subject and a specialization), which you can choose from all offered subjects and the specialization. When enrolling, the order of the subjects is not of importance, as there is no "first" or "second" subject. Through enrolling in a complementary degree programme, you can complete a third subject. However, at the beginning of your studies, it is advisable to focus on two subjects.

  • What is a specialisation?

    Specialisations are offered instead of a teaching subject. In the North-East Schools’ Group, you can choose from 27 teaching subjects and the specialization "Inclusive Education" (focus on impairments).

  • I have a disability. Can I study / take part in the entrance exam procedure?

    Yes, of course. If you have a long-term and medically-proven disability and in need of an alternative mode of assessment in the exam procedure, please report your need within the registration period after registering online: https://studieren.univie.ac.at/barrierefrei-studieren/anpassungen-bei-pruefungenlven/aufnahme-eignungsverfahren/

    Over the course of your studies, you can apply for alternative modes of assessment that are tailored to you. The Accessible Studying Team of the University of Vienna will inform you about the necessary steps: https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/accessible-studies/

  • Does the teacher education programme include practical training?

    The practical relevance is established through the pedagogical-practical studies, which take place in on-site settings at schools and are part of the degree programme. In the accompanying courses, students analyse and reflected on these teaching experiences. Through group and teamwork, students additionally receive peer feedback to further develop their professionalism as a teacher.

  • What happens during the entrance exam procedure?

    If you would like to study in a Teacher Education Programme, completing a multi-stage entrance exam procedure (in German) is obligatory before admission. 

    More information can be found on the central webpages of the Teaching Affairs and Student Services: https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/teacher-education-programme/

    General information about the admission procedure for Bachelor’s/Diploma programmes with entrance exam procedure: https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/degree-programmes-with-entrance-exam-procedure/

  • What is the admission procedure for the Teacher Education Programme for General Secondary Education?

    General information about the admission to bachelor and diploma programmes with entrance exam procedures can be found here: https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/degree-programmes-with-entrance-exam-procedure/